This is an American No 22 14″ molder. It is an out growth of the New Column design of ten or so years prior. It’s pretty stout and complete. There are a few coarse repairs indicative of hard use. Most of the parts removed from the machine were found at the previous location and will be returned to service.

The feedworks is new to this model. No weights hanging under. Someone managed to break it as you can see by the repair. Over stuffed it I would think. I look forward to studying this well as I work on it.

Top and side heads. Typical R and H knobs. This chip breaker slides back out of the way — if you can move it. Quite heavy. The outside head chip breaker/pressure shoe needs repaired. It is the same essentially as on my other R and H molder so I have models for parts.

Here is the bottom head. The pressure arm for between the side heads is missing. I am standing on the outfeed table. This head had its own motor when last used. Thankfully, my good friend Dave spotted the old pulley at the previous location and it can be replaced. This head has been line bored for ball bearings. I will leave it that way. It is a fairly clean job for a modification.

This machine has a clutch rather than a binder to engage the feed. Operable from front or back.

This is the six speed arrangement the patent date on the front of the machine refers to. I was lucky to have found the gear in a box of various items. Will need to make a stud.


The patent shows just as applied. Item “E” in the patent is there. It just looks out of whack on account of all the grease.

The machine requires a twist in the feed belts. New to me. Apart from the obvious, I wonder if there was some other benefit to it.

I am working hurriedly to get this thing ready for a Winter outside. the guides and bed plates will come in side. I can mess with them during the Winter. I am also getting rid of the bed rust, cleaning the heads, pulling the knives, belts, and putting the missing parts back in place.

This is one beat up machine. The men who ran it were not of the same ilk as the men who ran the Whitehouse-Crawford machines.

It is an impressive piece of work nonetheless. To think of all the hours of skilled labor in the casting and machining of the parts. The pattern making, the assembly.

The rods that adjust the inside head have been replaced.

This is the pulley Good Dave found. They turned down the shaft for the ball bearings and for the v-belt bushing so that will need to be re-done. The lateral adjustment may be lost with the ball bearing conversion. I may see if I can get the bearing to slide in the bore, like the original babbitted journal. We’ll see.

The little square ends on the inside head tilt rods thread on and taper pin. So it is full turn to adjust the slack. I am glad nothing was stripped inside the yoke. Unlocking this head required a three foot cheater.

The side heads have an internal pin that pinches to a flat on the spindles. I haven’t run across that before.

Someone did a real nice job surface grinding the heads flat, which has made them unsafe to use in my book.

Because of this. It allows space between the knife and the cutter head lip.

This is how it’s suppose to be. Not flat from side to side.

Same knife, bolt, no space. This is what we want to see.

No they may have ground flat because they were starting to use some solid HSS knives and thought it best not flex and break them. I don’t know. I believe the makers of HSS slotted knives soften them some below the heel nowadays but I am not confident in that. The knife shown here is a HSS inlay knife.

Here the feed rolls are off. Brought in for Winter clean up. The bed plate under the top head is out. I found old time cards used for shims.

One good thing is that when they broke the upper feedworks they re-bored the bores and sleeved them with bronze after the welding. They are in good shape.

So now a liberal dowsing of motor oil and tarping for the Winter. It was tarped for 20 years by the previous owner. Hopefully I will not be tarping it that long.




  1. Austin Bussard Says:

    I have a similar molder manufactured by Rowley and Hermance. I was wondering what kind of motor should be used to power one of these machines. Specifically what motors were originally used to power them. Thanks.

  2. James Genge Says:

    So good to feast my eyes upon this piece of machinery. Many a happy hours I spent working with this as a planer in our sawmill.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: